The season to dawn the spf and take your training outdoors to the track, pavement, or trail is here! Whether you’re a beginner or seasoned marathoner, here are 6 summer essentials to support your training and help you to beat the heat.
- Trail Mix Hydration Belt – Nathan. Hydration while out on a summer run is key. My preference has always been a waist belt in order to keep my hands free and posture/stride as natural as possible. Only recently have I come across Nathan who provide a variety of hydration belts with varying bottle sizes, belt shapes, and belt colours. To be honest, the Trail Mix belt caught my eye mainly because of the rad colour combination, what I later learned was that Nathan belts are the only bounce-free, easy-access, fully-adjustable, two-bottle belt available. Nathan also provide various bottle caps, allowing for you to customize the bottles even further. Available here. $68.00
- Cross Train Gravity Trainer Pro – SPRI. A new season is also a great time to add new strength training exercises into your cross training program. Runners can increase muscle strength, endurance and balance from the comfort of their own home with the SPRI Cross Train Gravity Trainer Pro. This light, portable, full-body training tool leverages body weight to build muscle, boost core strength and increase flexibility, which is perfect for the runner looking to take their training to the next level. The four-point anchoring system easily hooks onto any door frame and adjusts to modify resistance levels for upper and lower body exercises. Also it’s compact design let’s you use it anywhere – weekend at the cottage? Take it with you! This versatile tool delivers hundreds of strength-building exercise options. Check out six full body moves here. Available here. $39.99
- TRLCap “Stamped” – Red Rocks Edition – Ciele Athletics. Ciele Athletics caps are everywhere in Toronto as they as stylish and functional, and come in dozens of different colours. This TRL “Stamped” Red Rocks edition cap has caught my eye every since I saw it on the head of two of our runners. It’s the “trucker” style and made with lightweight, fast drying performance ready COOLwick™ mesh. It has reflective details for being seen while running in the cooler dawn or dusk, and has UPF +40 protection on the brim and front panel to keep you safe from the sun. Available online. $45.00
- Graduated Compression Socks – Tiux. These are my go to compression socks! Whether you are heading out on your long run, or recovering from your workout, Tiux Graduated Performance Compression Socks are a great way to train harder and keep your legs energized all summer long. Engineered to help runners improve performance, reduce muscle fatigue and recover faster these socks are stylish and functional. Available online. $35.00
- Forerunner 235 – Garmin. After my previous (and very unreliable) running watch died a couple years ago I never replaced it until this winter. I had been searching various Garmin products and the Forerunner 235 caught my eye. I’ve been using it every run since and LOVE it. It connects to GPS instantly, gives me amazing data for my runs (speed, stride length, heart rate), I admit that I was intimidated by the technology which is why I waited so long, but now I have it, I don’t know why I did. The Garmin Forerunner 235 has the same features as model 230 (which is very popular amongst our crew – almost every runner with a Gramin has this model), however the 235 has the addition of a wrist-based heart rate monitor. After falling in love with this feature in my FitBit Charge HR, I new I had to upgrade to this model. What’s more, it does not require a chest strap to get heart rate information. The Garmin Forerunner 235 looks great (in teal or black) and is functional tracking running, biking, as well as a number of smart features including displaying email and calls. Available from SportChek here. $479.99
- NB Ice Hybrid Tank – New Balance. The perfect summer tank that feels like you’re just running in a sports bra. The NB ICE Hybrid Tank was designed for extreme breathability. A roomy mesh outer tank is layered over a body-hugging NB Ice crop for breezy comfort when your run or the weather heats up providing a fun, flowy, cool look. Plus, a convenient media cord tunnel holds your headphones in place and out of the way during your run. Available here. $44.99