In an ideal world we’d each have a full hour for physical activity every day. But even if you don’t have plenty of time, short rounds of exercise can add up over the course of your day. So, whether you’re at home or at the office, make the most of your time with these five ways to sneak activity in to your busy schedule.
1. Divide it up. Finding an extra 60 minutes a day of activity might seem tough. Consider breaking your workout into two 30-minute, or three 20-minute segments at times that are convenient to you. Moving first thing in the morning before your shower, and then again at lunch, or finishing your day with a workout while making dinner will leave you with a raised heart rate and feeling of accomplishment.
2. Turn your Commute into a Workout. Try walking, running, or riding your bike to the office a few days a week. You’ll save money on gas, possibly save time from public transit or congested driving, and start your day with a clear head. Live too far for an active commute? Try getting off the bus or train a few stops earlier, or park your car farther away.
3. Take the Stairs. This is an easy option depending on your physical activity level and workplace attire. For added fun, consider counting the number of steps you can do in a minute, or for an extra glute workout, when you can do it safely, take two steps at once. For those working in high towers, why not take the elevator part way and walk the rest!
4. Talk and Walk. Need to take a few minutes to catch up with a colleague at the office? Why not do it with a walking meeting. Commit yourself to two or three 10 minute touch base conversations where you can brainstorm a project, follow-up and plan next steps, or bring your phone along and chat it up while on the move. A great way to get fresh air while getting down to business.
5. Take a Class. Consider gathering a few colleagues and hold each other accountable to a noon hour sweat session. If you don’t have enough time to take a full class, consider getting on a machine or using free weights for 30 minutes is a great way to break up the day and sneak in “Me time”. And as a bonus, depending on your intensity, you might even be able to return to work sweat-free.
How do you sneak in some extra physical activity during your day? Share it in the comments!