Next week I’ll be heading to Banff with hundreds of other #PEgeeks for the PHE Canada National Conference in Banff Alberta. The spectacular Canadian Rocky Mountains, glacier-fed lakes, and wildlife at its wildest and hundreds of folks dedicated to the promotion of healthy, active living, what’s not to love!
I will be leading three workshops at National (scroll to the bottom to learn about those) so have complied my top five list for getting the most out of your HPE conference experience!
1. Start following the hashtag NOW!
See who else is getting excited about #Banff2015 and start connecting. Learn what they’re looking forward to and where they’re coming from. People come from around the globe to this conference, so let’s get excited for a physical literacy uprising together. Also, don’t forget to follow @PHECanada and @albertaHPEC on Twitter. (And me too! @RunSoulCycle)
2. Be prepared!
Most of the workshops at National are active, so wear your runners and be dressed to move. Also consider bringing a water bottle, healthy snacks, and possibly an extra shirt for a quick change – you never know when a DancePl3y flash mob will break out!
3. Plan your workshops now.
Why wait? Sure, from years of attending and presenting at HPE conferences I know the first evening is usually reserved for sitting around with your team, and a few drinks, and making your conference workshop picks. “Ok, I’ll trade you an Ophea PlaySport workshop in time slot B for a Teaching Dance for Education workshop in time slot F” Don’t wait! Make those picks now! Check out the workshop descriptions and conference festivities here.
4. Leave the pen, bring your smart phone.
Why worry about missing an important fact while copying notes from a Power Point when you can just take a photo of the slide and keep on learning. This also applies to resources, videos of games, dances, or activities – don’t worry about writing the rules or steps, catch it in live action for later reference. Even better yet tweet that out (referencing the presenter of course and share it with the entire HPE community. If it’s inspired you, it’ll be guaranteed to inspire someone else.
5. Be open to new ideas!
One of the newest additions to the Ophea consulting team is Lindsay Siple, .Ophea PARC Consultant. Lindsay suggests conference goers take risks and move out of their comfort zones. “Try activities that are new and be open to new ideas and ways of thinking and doing. This is about connecting with people. Be sure to bring a good level of energy, and most importantly have fun!”
If you’re heading to Banff I hope I’ll see you at one of my three workshops.
- Physical Literacy & The Early Years. Friday. Session B. Room: KC 301.
- Description: This workshop provides a deeper understanding of physical literacy, its benefits, and connection to the Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines for the Early Years. Workshop participants will be provided with ready-to-go activities and tools to develop physical literacy for easy integration into existing programming.
- PlaySport: Bright Ideas To Get Moving – Using A Teaching Games for Understanding Approach. Saturday. Session E. Location: Sally Borden Gym South.
- Description: This workshop outlines the TGfU model, presenting skills and strategies used in games and activities based on four game categories: Target, Net/Wall, Striking/Fielding, and Territory. Examples from the free PlaySport resource will provide participants with ready-to-go activities and tools for easy implementation.
- Teaching Dance For Understanding: A New Pedagogical Approach For Teaching Dance In PE. Saturday. Session F. Location LF 224 Dance Studio.
- Description: Love TGfU? Come discover TDfU – Teaching Dance for Understanding! Learn how to modify the the ‘rules’ of dance (choreography and technique) to allow students to experience success with foundational movements and rhythms designed. Designed for PE teachers, this model will help you develop physical literacy and fundamental movements skills as students explore various styles of dance and gain self-confidence in expressing themselves. Explore curriculum design strategies that follow the 6 elements of the model then experience fresh ideas and lesson plans in action!
You can find me above, plus in the expo at the Ophea booth, and at the dance-off social! I look forward to us learning and sharing together in one of the most precious, protected places in the world.