The hustle and bustle of the holiday season can really destroy your motivation to get a move on. But over this time of food and stress (and maybe some joy and love), exercise is exactly what the body (and the mind) is asking for!
Here are five ways to stay motivated and keep moving over the holiday season.
- Schedule Time For You. Just like you’re writing your gatherings with friends and family on your calendar you need to write time for you in as well. And just like you wouldn’t bail on your girls, keep your promise to yourself and hit the weights before the eggnog.
- Make a Date of It. Rather than setting up another dinner date; why not get together for an activity date? Hit a local skating rink, walk (or run) your neighbourhood to check out the holiday lights, or raise the heart rate with some high impact shopping! Catch up with friends in creative and healthy holiday ways that allow you to swap stories and sneak in a sweat at the same time.
- Join a Holiday Themed Fitness Event. Check in with your local studios, clubs, or stores to see what holiday themed fitness events are happening in your own community. A holiday themed run, a rocking reindeer ride, or maybe a longest night themed yoga class, whatever it is, shake up your regular workout with a fun seasonal theme and get out and active in the community.
- Work Out at Home. Maybe you don’t have time for your typical workouts. You’ve over booked yourself and now have no time for you, so accept it and get your sweat on at home instead. If you don’t have a program or own any of the many videos available for home fitness, there are a ton of great workout videos of varying lengths and varying genres available on YouTube, so find one that works with your space, equipment, and time and move! (Looking for Santa to add to your home fitness collection? Check out my two BeachBody favourites Chalean Extreme and Turbo Fire)
- Be Realistic. Don’t set yourself up with any giant, out of this world, fitness goal for the end of this month. Accept what is doable for you and stick to it. Whether your plan is to sweat once a day or 3 times a week, when you create a realistic goal you’ll be more likely to stick to it and you’ll feel great once you have.
Hope these ideas help you to stay motivated and active! Do you have a tip that helps you stay motivated? Post it in the comments and have a happy and healthy holidays!