The new year is a great time to reset or restart your workout routine. Maybe you want it give it a small makeover by adding few challenging moves, or maybe it requires a core shaking revival, either way these 5 moves will give you a total body workout in your own house, no equipment needed!
The below program is for Total Reps: Perform as many reps as you can of each move in one minute each, moving from one exercise to the next without stopping. Rest one minute, then repeat the sequence two or three more times – or during the day whenever you have five minutes! Keep track of your total rep count and try to beat your grand total next time.
Don’t want to read below? Watch me in a recording of the 5.5 minute segment here.
1. Clock Lunge: Standing with feet hip distance apart, step forward in to a standing split position and slowly lower your body until your front knee is bent to at least 90 degrees. Pause and then return to standing. Using the same leg, step wide into a side lunge and slowly lower until your right knee is bent is bent to at least 90 degrees. Pause and then return to standing.Finally step backwards with the right leg and slowly lower your body until your front knee is bent to at least 90 degrees. Pause and then return to standing. Those three movements are one set. Repeat on the other side.
2. Plank Walk Out: Start standing with the feet shoulder width apart and arms hanging down to the sides of the body. Slightly bend the knees and bend over and placing the hands shoulder width apart on the floor, so your body is in the shape of an inverted V. Walk forward four steps forward with your hands until you reach a plank position. Walk hands back in towards your feet and return to stand.
3. Mountain Climbers: Get into a high plank position with hands directly under shoulders. One leg at a time, march or jog, bringing your knees towards your chest.
4. Plank Jacks: From a plank position on your toes, jump both feet wide and then return both feet narrow together. To decrease the challenge alternate a toe tap away from the center line of the body one foot at a time.
5. Alternating Shoulder Tap: On the knees or toes, maintain a balance and stable hip position while touching the opposite hand to shoulder. To decrease the challenge, increase the distance between the knees widening your base of support.