The new year is a great time to reset and restart your workout, by either giving it a makeover or maybe a revival. These 5 moves will give you a total body workout in your own house, no equipment needed! Pick one of the three programs from below, they all use the same 5 exercises, and sneak your workouts in whenever you can.
Do two to three sessions a week. Pick a workout program that interests you; keep the pace fast and the effort hard. Feeling strong after a couple of weeks? then bump it up! (Don’t want to read? Click here to watch my segment on CH Morning Live)
- Total Time: Do 12 reps of each exercise, moving from one to the next without resting. Complete as many rounds as possible in 15minutes
- Total Rounds: Do 12 reps of each exercise, moving from one to the next without rest. Complete five rounds and note how long it takes you to finish. Aim to do the workout faster next time.
- Total Reps: Perform as many reps as you can of each move in one minute each, moving from one exercise to the next without stopping. Rest one minute, then repeat the sequence two more times. Keep track of your total rep count and try to beat your grand total next time.
1. Clock Lunge: Standing with feet hip distance apart, step forward in to a standing split position and slowly lower your body until your front knee is bent to at least 90 degrees. Pause and then return to standing. Using the same leg, step wide into a side lunge and slowly lower until your right knee is bent is bent to at least 90 degrees. Pause and then return to standing.
Finally step backwards with the right leg and slowly lower your body until your front knee is bent to at least 90 degrees. Pause and then return to standing. Those three movements are one set. Repeat on the other side.
2. Marching Hip Raise: Lie face-up on the floor with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
Raise your hips so your body forms a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. Lift one knee to your chest, lower back to the start, and lift your other knee to your chest. Continue to alternate back and forth.
3. Trunk Twist: Lie face-up on the floor with your arms straight out from your sides. Raise your legs off the floor so that your hips and knees are bent 90 degrees.
Brace your abs and lower your legs to the right as far as you can without lifting your shoulders off the floor. Reverse the movement all the way to the left. Continue to alternate back and forth.
4. Alternating Superman: Lie face down on the floor with your legs straight and your arms extending above the head, palms down.
Contract your glutes and the muscles of your lower back, and raise your head, chest, right arm, and left leg off the floor. Hold for 15 seconds, lower and repeat using your left arm and right leg. Hold and repeat again on the alternating sides.
5. Reach Out Push-Up: Starting on all fours place your hands on the floor slightly wider than and in line with your shoulders.
Reach your right hand away from your body on the right side and slowly lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor. Pause at the bottom, and then push yourself back to the starting position, with hands under shoulders, as quickly as possible.
Modification: Instead of performing the exercise with your legs straight, bend your knees and cross your ankles behind you. Your body should form a straight line from your head to your knees.
Click here to watch this segment from January 2nds CH Morning Live.