Last week while up at the cottage I decided I would finally have some time to bake a recipe that’s been on my mind for a month now. I first saw this in the Facebook feed from my friend Melissa, and as a fan of coconut, couldn’t resist giving it a try. Essentially it’s banana bread – but with a coconut triple threat- coconut oil, coconut flour and shredded coconut all in one place.
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (ghee can be used here as well)
- ½ cup raw honey
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 eggs (room temperature is best)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons shredded or desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a standard loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil and honey.
- In a large bowl, whisk the salt, eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract. Whisk in the coconut oil and honey mixture. Next, whisk in the coconut flour until completely combined with no lumps. Lastly, stir in the mashed bananas.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with the shredded coconut.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If your coconut topping is browning fast, tent some aluminum foil on top to prevent burning.
- Let cool completely (or as long as you can wait!) before removing from the loaf pan and serving. Keep refrigerated.
This recipe was a big hit and within a couple of days was entirely gone. It was very easy to make, once you’ve bought all the ingredients, and was absolutely delicious. We ate it right from the oven and cooled, but I actually think it was better once cooled as everything just became more firm. Give it a try and let me know what you think!