Working out with a buddy makes getting that sweat on easier for so many reasons:
1. It’s more fun! Someone to talk with, laugh with, and just have a good time with – sounds great to me!
2. You’ll push yourself more. Nothing like a little friendly competition to be inspired to sweat. Maybe you’re working together to accomplish a repetition goal, or going toe-to-toe on the treadmill, fit friends are the best motivation.
3. Accountability! Whether they are waiting on the corner in their runners, or at the gym ready for a warm-up, knowing your friend is counting on you to be there is motivation enough to move. You might let yourself down and stay in bed, but nobody want’s that friend guilt 😉
I had a blast on CH Morning Live sharing 5 moves you can do at home or the gym with your fitness buddy. Check them out below, or watch the video here!
- Partner Squat. Holding right hands pull each other with equal tension engaging your upper back in a row. Lower down together into a squat then return to stand. Complete for 45 seconds. Take a 15 second break. Then repeat holding left hands.
2. Plank and Deadlift. One of you will hold a plank on your hands. Staying strong through your core s key here – no dipping those hips. The other partner is holding the plankers ankles and hinges at their waist lengthening their hamstrings before returning to stand. Complete for 45 seconds before switching positions and repeat two rounds.
3. Leg Drop. One of you lies on the ground with your head towards your partners feet and your feet straight in the air. Partner two pushes Partner One’s feet away. Partner One engages their core and returns their legs. Partner Two can mix of the direction of the push to keep Partner One guessing and having fun. After 45 seconds switch positions and repeat for two rounds.
4. Patty-Cake Plank. On our knees or toes partners partners face each other and clap right and left hands together. Be sure to stay strong through your core, making a long straight line from the top of your head towards your feet or knees.
5. Hamstring Stretch and Chest Opener. Sitting back to back on the floor, both of you should have your legs stretched out in front of your bodies. Partner One folders forward in a hamstring stretch reaching the top of their head towards their toes while Partner Two leans back into a chest opener resting their head on Partner One and opening through their chest letting their hands reach towards the floor. Hold for 20-30 seconds and switch positions. Repeat for 4-5 rounds.